Saturday, March 12, 2011

ICA, mark bradford and gabriel kuri (nobody needs to know the price of your saab)


I enjoyed Bradford’s work in video more than his collages. Maybe I’m just too lazy to “read” a collage. I spent more time reading the labels on each of his pieces than I did looking at the pieces themselves. I was more interested in the “what” (materials) than the “how” (technique/skill involved). I went to the ICA with my mother, who was visiting from out of town. This is always a great experience, seeing contemporary art with my mother who knows nothing about it. Maybe I didn’t care that much about the collages because my mother loved them. She said they were, “beautiful”. I’m wary of any art my mom can declare “beautiful.” The videos were readable to me. I guess I just understand the language of video better than that of painting or collage.
Gabriel Kuri is my new love. The title of the show itself grabbed my attention, and the work did not let me down. Kuri is an artist working in Mexico City who holds on to every receipt of every purchase he makes, ever. I, too, do this - although, I never thought to incorporate it into my art. Kuri makes sculptures using receipts. He makes fiberglass sculptures of greasy food he once ate and has the receipt to document. He has woven tapestries of the receipts of expensive, life-changing purchases. I make drawings of bar codes and cheap furniture. Kuri’s work speaks to me on many levels.

Monday, February 21st. Observation Hours: 3.

No comments: